I. Love. Breakfast. As I get ready for bed at night I am already planning my breakfast for the next morning. If I had all the time in the world, I would probably spend hours prepping a mouth watering meal full of healthy wholesome ingredients each and every morning. Before I became a mom I’d spend time perfecting new pancake and waffles recipes, yummy frittatas and all sorts of fancy meals. However, now my mornings are quite busy and other things (little people) have moved to the front of the priority line. And now I find that I’d much rather spend time with Aviana watching her play and experience the world as opposed to spending hours in the kitchen prepping our meals. With that being said, I still LOVE food and want each meal to be delicious and healthy.
Breakfast parfaits are something easy that I can prepare in the evenings once Avi goes to sleep. I assemble them quickly in the morning by adding homemade granola, coconut yogurt and fresh berries. I particularly love this recipe because of the steel cut oats – they keep their integrity which helps to avoid that gummy texture that overnight rolled oats can sometimes take on. This firmer texture is a result of the oat being cut into two or three pieces by steel during processing instead of being rolled and flattened such as that done to the old fashioned or quick oat variety. With that being said, if you prefer a more creamy overnight oat texture, feel free to substitute regular oats.
What is great about this recipe is that although it tastes sweet, there is actually not one bit of sugar added. Caramelizing the bananas enhances their natural sweetness eliminating the need to add sugar (and extra calories). I find the addition of vanilla and cinnamon makes this parfait taste akin to homemade banana bread. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. It’s creamy, hearty, wholesome, high in fiber, subtly sweet, satisfying and undeniably delicious! On top of all that, it’s low FODMAP and free of gluten, dairy and sugar.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- Your favorite gluten-free granola (like my Banana Nut Granola)
- Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt
- Sliced strawberries and cinnamon for garnish
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add sliced bananas, vanilla and cinnamon and sauté until the bananas begin to break down. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place ¼ cup of steel cut oats, 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed and ½ cup non-dairy milk inside each of the 4 glass mason jars. Distribute bananas evenly between all 4 jars.
- Stir to combine and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to eat, add the granola and layer the coconut yogurt on top. Garnish with strawberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon.